[GRASS5] tcltk to default

John Gillette JGillette at rfmd.com
Thu Feb 5 10:40:16 EST 2004

I'm sorry.  I feel stupid.

Of course "grass53 -tcltk" works as desired.

Perhaps the help message should be changed as follows:

Usage:
  Init.sh [-h | -help <... snip>

Flags:
  -h or -help or --help          print this help message
  -text                          use text based interface and set as default
                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  -tcltk or -gui                 use Tcl/Tk based graphical user interface
                                   and set as default
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[note: man page could be changed also.  And grass5 needs to read grass53
 in grass5.html page.]

Also, I suggest to add a section in the install file called
"RUNNING GRASS" after COMPILING MODULES ... and before THINGS TO DO.
(Technically running grass isn't part of installing but if you
  are installing for the first time you may not be familiar with
  the man pages yet.)

Copy help information there except change Init.sh to grass53.

For example:

STARTING GRASS

Ensure that the path to grass is in your PATH environment or
start grass with the full path name.  To start grass:
  grass53

Usage:
  grass53 [-h | -help | --help] [-text | -tcltk | -gui] [[[<GISDBASE>/]<LOCATION_NAME>/]<MAPSET>]

Flags:
  -h or -help or --help          print this help message
  -text                          use text based interface and set as default
  -tcltk or -gui                 use Tcl/Tk based graphical user interface
                                    and set as default

Again, I am embarrassed I could not figure this out myself.

John