[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:2259] Re: NVIZ on Cygwin

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Feb 12 00:57:02 EST 2004

Richard Greenwood wrote:

> >>I have been compiling with gcc 3.3.1. Might that be the root of my
> >>problems?
> >

> > Quite possibly; particularly if the libraries were built with 2.9x
> > (certainly, the xtcltk-8.3.4 package was built with 2.95).
>
> Simply reverting to gcc 2.95 has not got NVIZ working for me yet,
> however I can see some other significant version differences between my
> Cygwin packages and yours. Thanks for your previous post in which you
> listed your relevant packages and version numbers - it has given me some
> more likely avenues to pursue.

I suppose that I should also mention:

1. This was on Win98. Cygwin's reliability can vary substantially
depending upon the Windows variant, although NT/2K/XP should be more
stable than 95/98/ME.

2. I added -D__W98__ to CFLAGS to have mon.start use spawn() instead
of exec(), i.e.

	CFLAGS='-g -D__W98__' ./configure ...