[GRASS5] 5.3 shared libraries and other experimental changes

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Jan 5 08:44:47 EST 2004

Paul Kelly wrote:

> I also added a section for Cygwin. This does not work currently as there
> are problems with circular dependencies and resulting undefined symbols
> when compiling libraries. In particular the dig2 and vect libraries had
> circular dependencies. I didn't look into this more but it may just be a
> compiler/linker flag we need like the "-undefined suppress" on OSX.

Unlikely. Windows DLLs are quite different from Unix shared libraries.
In particular, Windows binaries (executables and DLLs) import specific
symbols from specific DLLs; OTOH, Unix binaries don't care where an
imported symbol comes from, so long as it actually gets provided.

AFAICT, the circular dig2/vect dependency must be recent; it doesn't
occur in the last version which I built. There were some circular
dependency issues with the DBMI code, but ISTR that Radim said that he
had fixed that.

> 3) Re-generate the binary nadgrids datum transformation files when
> installing a binary distribution, as these are architecture-specific
> files.

Is this related to cross-compilation?