[GRASS5] 5.3 shared libraries and other experimental changes

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Jan 6 17:06:36 EST 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:

> thanks for the improvements - it compiles perfectly on Mandrake 9.1.
> (I have modified the mk/Makefile.docs slightly).
>
> I have no troubles to run 'make' in the main directory.
>
> A (un)related question:
>
> Must the links to front.end necessarily be hard links?

No; so long as front.end can get the module name from argv[0], it will
work.

The main advantage of using hard links is that all Unix systems
support them, whereas symbolic links were a BSD extension. OTOH, any
Unix system which doesn't have symbolic links probably wouldn't have a
lot of other things which GRASS requires, and probably wouldn't be
much use for anything except a museum exhibit.

> They are created in:
>  src/CMD/generic/MAKELINKS.sh

The alternate build system doesn't use that script; "ln" is called
directly from the "links" target in the Makefile.

BTW, the other stuff which was tacked onto the end of the "links"
target doesn't belong there; I'll add a separate "post-compile"
target.