[GRASS5] Re: GRASS 5.3 with shared libs

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 11:16:11 EST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Markus Neteler wrote:

> > I made a fresh checkout of the CVS on a RedHat 7.3 system and tried that
> > exact configure line from the top-level source directory and got this
> > error:
> >
> > [...]
> > checking for source directory... /home/paulk/src/grass
> > checking for build directory... /home/paulk/src/grass
> > checking for Build Mechanism to be used... Alternate
> > configure: error: ***  Build directory should not be the same as source
> > directory for the alternate build mechanism. Create a separate build
> > directory and run again, e.g. mkdir grass-build; cd grass-build;
> > ../configure (see mk/README)
> Have never seen this message :-)

Yes that's very strange!

> > which is what I intended to happen as while it might be possible to run
> > the alternate build system from the top-level source directory it got very
> > messy with all the source directories filled up with .o files that weren't
> > easily removed.
> Well, I easily remove them with a 'find' command on all '*.o' files.

Yes that could be added to a makefile somewhere easily enough

> > Also the 'old' Makefile got overwritten so you couldn't do
> > make bindist or make srcdist (I didn't bother copying these targets into
> > mk/Makefile.in yet).
> In fact I didn't try make bindist or make srcdist as I use GRASS
> directly from the ./dist.$ARCH directory. At time I am away from
> that Mandrake box.
> But those targets could be added, right?

Yes certainly wouldn't be much more work at all.

> > It is worth tidying it up though but I was under the impression that with
> > the alternate build system we really should use a separate build
> > directory (and that is how I tested it).
> I still don't see the advantage to be forced to use a separate build
> directory - please explain again.

It was really just that I felt that was the way Glynn had designed it and
there would be fewer complications and things likely to go wrong if it is
done that way. I just wanted to minimise the amount of work I had to do to
get it working. But it looks now like it mightn't require many if any
(now) changes to run it from the normal place.

To do:
provide some way of deleting the *.o files.
Move the checks in POST_INSTALL.sh somewhere else (probably into
Add srcdist and bindist to mk/Makefile


More information about the grass-dev mailing list