[GRASS5] making raster maps from vector maps with PostgreSQL data in GRASS 5.3

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jan 9 11:52:12 EST 2004

Tom,

Thanks for this suggestion.

On Friday, January 9, 2004, at 08:52  AM, Thomas Adams wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Iteresting you should ask this question since I had a similar need.
> What you need to do is this:
>
> (1) first do the v.to.rast conversion on your vector files, creating
> the raster equivalents
>
> (2) if you have the dig_cats files for the vector files, then simply
> copy them into the cats directory; the only thing is that the cats
> filenames & the cell file names must be the same - then you're done.

Actually I don't **think** that this is even necessary if you have
dig_cats. I **think** that v.to.rast will copy the vector attributes
into the proper raster cat & label files. The problem, of course is
that I **don't** have the dig_cats  file and want to create it from a
PostgreSQL table column. However, barring an elegant solution to this,
what you recommend below will work even if it is 'brute force'. Thanks
again.

> (3) if you don't have the dig_cats files, you'll have to do a SQL
> query to dump the attributes to a text file by polygon area and then
> do a little file manipulation to get them into the format needed for
> Step-(2) above.
>
> Now, this may be a brute force way to do this and someone else will
> come along with something more elegant, but it will work.

Michael