[GRASS5] 5.3 shared libraries and other experimental changes

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Jan 9 14:16:49 EST 2004

Paul Kelly wrote:

> Feel free to fix up and tidy the changes I have made. Seems to work on
> Linux (Red Hat 9) and IRIX (6.2) but I haven't tested anywhere else and
> much needs tidied anyway. E.g. generating the makefiles for the alternate
> build mechanism only needs to be done once but is done every time the
> configure script is run, the way I have left it.

This didn't sink in the first time I read it.

I don't think that configure should do this. If you want to eliminate
the need for the "mk/mkmakefiles" step, it would be better to add the
"makefiles" target to the list of dependencies for the "all" target in
the Makefile. That way, re-creating the makefiles can be skipped by
specifying an explicit list of targets when running "make".

Also, if you wait until the top-level Makefile has been built, you can
use the rule:

%/makefile: %/Gmakefile
	sed -f ${SRCDIR}/mk/genmake.sed < $< > $@

to only build the makefile if it doesn't exist or if the Gmakefile has
changed. I.e. instead of running:

	sed -f ${SRCDIR}/mk/genmake.sed < $$dir/Gmakefile > $$dir/makefile

for each value of $dir, run:

	${MAKE} $$dir/makefile

Or maybe it's time to finally abandon the use of gmake5 and just
require GNU make?