[GRASS5] 5.3 shared libraries and other experimental changes

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Jan 5 10:33:58 EST 2004

Paul Kelly wrote:

> > AFAICT, the circular dig2/vect dependency must be recent; it doesn't
> > occur in the last version which I built. There were some circular
> > dependency issues with the DBMI code, but ISTR that Radim said that he
> > had fixed that.
>
> Well I *think* that's what the problem was; I didn't have a good look at
> it as I'd already spent time on other things. Perhaps it is not as bad as
> that and just needs the compile re-ordered or something.

Sorry, my mistake. I was looking at the "ldd" output, which doesn't
show circular dependencies. However, examining the "nm" output
indicates that there is indeed a circular dependency, specifically
that dig2 requires V2_read_line in three files:

	chk_inside.o:         U V2_read_line
	find_area.o:         U V2_read_line
	point_t_line.o:         U V2_read_line

This isn't an issue on Unix, so long as any binary which links against
libdig2 also links against libvect. It is an issue for Windows DLLs.

Can anyone provide a quick summary of the relationship between libdig2
and libvect?

> > > 3) Re-generate the binary nadgrids datum transformation files when
> > > installing a binary distribution, as these are architecture-specific
> > > files.
> >
> > Is this related to cross-compilation?
> >

> Yes---that would be the situation where you'd need to generate the files
> upon installation to the target machine. We talked about this before---I
> hope that is a satisfactory way to get around it.

Yes, although the same issue also applies to src/fonts/for_grass.