[GRASS5] more GRASS 5.7 testing under MacOSX

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jan 15 11:10:49 EST 2004

Getting ready for my class this semester, I downloaded and began
testing GRASS 5.7 again. I am using the 20 November 2003 binaries that
Markus has kindly made available. Some of these things may have been
dealt with in the current CVS snapshot, but I haven't yet had the
chance to try compiling it.

So far, I've seen a couple old bugs still in effect, and run into a new
one. Also, given that the new version is overall quite stable and
potentially useful, I want to add two requests.

1. Nviz still doesn't work. Trying to start it returns an error that
nviz2.2_script can't be found (even though it is indeed located in the
proper place). I tried to force run the script from within grass, but
it crashed before it started with several errors. If anyone is
interested, I can send these. I don't know if this is because Nviz
doesn't work with 5.7 yet, or it is a bug in the startup script.

2. In the display manager, when reorganizing the different map layers,
dragging a layer a little too far (it doesn't take much) below the
bottom-most layer starts an endless error loop that can only be exited
by crashing out of GRASS.

3. This may be new. d.what.vect is not functioning correctly. In normal
mode, it is supposed to return a new tcltk monitor with information
about fields that can be changed if needed. This does not happen. If I
am lucky, nothing happens; if unlucky, d.what.vect crashes with a
problem with child process error. I CAN get information about a vector
if I select the option to display it as text in a terminal window.
Toggling flash and exit functions seem to work fine.

4. Request. Can a menu system be made for the majority of the
commands--as in version 5.0.x? It could be pull downs across the top
(as in prior GRASS versions), along the side (as in ArcInfo and some
CAD programs), or floating pallets like in GIMP. I just can remember
ALL the commands.

5. The dialogs for the g.* (general) commands all seem to lack browse
buttons. Can browse buttons be added?

I think this is a very good and exciting product. I am strongly
suggesting it for the graduate students here.

Thanks very much
Michael
Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
Department of Anthropology