[GRASS5] d.barscale enhancement, d.scale retirement

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Jan 21 09:24:34 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:18:45PM +1300, Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> re. the state of affairs of d.scale and d.barscale
>

> d.scale is buggy (at= backwards; mouse placement broken, ..), while
> d.barscale is pretty much the same program but with the bugs fixed and
> more/better features & options (eg omit bg color, text on top).
>
> I just added a flag to d.barscale that makes it draw a d.scale style
> line-scale instead of a bar-scale, thus making d.scale redundant.
>

> I propose we now get rid of (or disable via the module build list)
> d.scale for 5.3 and rename d.barscale d.scale in the 5.7 cvs.
>
> Can it be removed from CVS/HEAD without damaging 5.0.x?

There is one limitation which needs to be sorted out before removing d.scale:

GRASS:~ > d.barscale -mt
ERROR: d.barscale does not work with a latitude-longitude location

GRASS:~ > d.scale -m

Use mouse to select the scale location:
Any Button: select point
Look OK [y] ?

[...]

Do you see a chance to extend d.barscale to work with Lat/Long?

Markus