[GRASS5] can't start mon under WinGeneric but can under X11, again...

Jeff D. Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Wed Jan 21 15:59:46 EST 2004

I've run into this problem before, only slightly different. I

d.mon stop=x0

$
./configure --without-gd --without-odbc --without-fftw --without-postgres --
without-opengl --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib

GRASS is now configured for i686-pc-cygwin

  Source directory:          /home/hamannj/grass/grass-5.0.3
  Build directory:           /home/hamannj/grass/grass-5.0.3
  Installation directory:    /usr/local/grass5
  C compiler:                gcc -g -O2
  FORTRAN compiler:          f77

  NVIZ:                       no

  X11 support:                yes
  DBM support:                no
  JPEG support:               yes
  TIFF support:               yes
  PNG support:                yes
  GD support:                 no
  Tcl/Tk support:             yes
  PostgreSQL support:         no
  OpenGL(R) support:          no
  ODBC support:               no
  FFTW support:               no
  BLAS support:               no
  LAPACK support:             no
  Motif support:              no
  FreeType support:           no
  GLw support:                no
  NLS support:                no
  Readline support:           no

 and then make...

I then ran make install and tried to run grass 5.0.3. When I attempted to
start a graphics window, I got the following:

GRASS:~ > d.mon start=x0
No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
GRASS:~ >

The graphics window works when I run from an X Window session, but I would
like to only run the generic build (not the X version, since this will be
run on a Windoze XP machine and having two window managers running is a bit
unsightly, but...)

Am I configuring the build correctly?

Thanks,
Jeff.