[GRASS5] can't start mon under WinGeneric but can under X11, again...

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jan 21 22:38:36 EST 2004

Jeff D. Hamann wrote:

> ./configure --without-gd --without-odbc --without-fftw --without-postgres --
> without-opengl --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib

>  and then make...
>

> I then ran make install and tried to run grass 5.0.3. When I attempted to
> start a graphics window, I got the following:

> GRASS:~ > d.mon start=x0
> No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
> Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
> No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
> GRASS:~ >
>
> The graphics window works when I run from an X Window session, but I would
> like to only run the generic build (not the X version, since this will be
> run on a Windoze XP machine and having two window managers running is a bit
> unsightly, but...)
>
> Am I configuring the build correctly?

No; you need to use --enable-w11 for the "generic" version. And
there's no point specifying --x-includes or --x-libraries in that
case.

AFAICT, you can install both the X11 and W11 ("generic") versions of
XDRIVER (obviously, they can't both be called XDRIVER.exe, so one of
them has to renamed), and modify etc/monitorcap, e.g.:

	x0:driver/XDRIVER:X-windows graphics display: \
	     dev/fifo.1a dev/fifo.1b \
	     ::any terminal
	x1:driver/XDRIVER:X-windows graphics display: \
	     dev/fifo.2a dev/fifo.2b \
	     ::any terminal
[snip]
	w0:driver/WINDRIVER:Windows graphics display: \
	     dev/fifo.1a dev/fifo.1b \
	     ::any terminal
	w1:driver/WINDRIVER:Windows graphics display: \
	     dev/fifo.2a dev/fifo.2b \
	     ::any terminal

and use e.g. "d.mon start=x0" or "d.mon start=w0" depending on which
you want to use. This won't work with anything which has the x0/x1/...
monitor names hardcoded (primarily tcltkgrass, but then tcltkgrass
only works with X in any case).