[GRASS5] Some news: KerGIS

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jan 26 10:11:44 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:16:00PM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:

> BTW, I will say it once and never repeat it after: I will certainly put
> things and say things rather roughly when I analyze and criticize the
> way things have happened. It is in no way a criticism on the individuals
> it is just the constatation that with any project, despite the quality
> of the persons, if the contributions are not planned and coordonnated,
> the time spent is lost.

Honest criticising will be no problem.
But you have to be careful of tying this to the process
(and thus decisions of persons).

You are looking at a certain state of GRASS
and you have several assumptions about the process.
I don't share all of them, especially your last concertation
is something I don't share to some parts.

Somehow you probably would not try KerGRASS now
if GRASS would not have been continued the way it did in 1999.
I believe that without GPL GRASS, we would not have seen KerGIS.
It is true that you or anybody could have started KerGIS earlier,
but nobody did. Now that GPL GRASS grew green enough to show the
potential and the advantages of Free Software are more known,
a radical approach to do a new Free Software GIS is not bad.
But this is what KerGIS is, this is why you rightfully gave
it a different name.

If you make general statements that are beyond the technology,
you might provoke counter arguments.

You can say: Technical this is in a bad state know.
You cannot say: the process was wrong, this is why the state is so,
without getting into general arguments.

> In no way I will proclam that I'm omniscient and "error free". No: I
> make errors and will continue till the end. I'm simply trying to learn,
> that is to make new ones.

I'd be interested in how you judge the potential of the other
Free Software GIS approaches. PostGIS in a way also starts
to be a GIS coming from the database side of things.
Thuban trying to be an interactive geodata viewer,
also becomes more and more a GIS as people refine the mean of GIS.
This probably would be a dissussion to be held on the FreeGIS list.

	Bernhard