[GRASS5] PostGIS with GRASS 5.7

Stephan Holl sholl at gmx.net
Tue Jan 27 11:17:07 EST 2004

> On Friday 23 January 2004 19:40, Stephan Holl wrote:
> > Dear GRASS-Developers,
> >
> > while thinking about using GRASS 5.7 as a 'PostGIS-data-editor' I am
> > facing the problem, that areas are only read as boundaries by UMN
> > Mapserver.
> > You know about that, I guess.
> >
> > But are there some workarounds to display GRASS-modified PostGIS-data
> > correctly in UMN Mapserver?!
> >
> > Another question is about the user management with roles, views etc. in
> > Postgres.
> > Is it possible to apply this user management of Postgres to the db-user
> > who is modifying the PostGIS database?

> There are too many problems with PostGIS in GRASS, I thing, that
> the best would be to remove or at leas disable PostGIS and maybe
> shapefile and support only OGR sources as read only with pseudotopology.

OK, thanks for your statement.

> Why do you need data stored in PostGIS? It is impossible to publish
> the data anybody is working on. Editing may be done in GRASS native
> and once finished, you can run v.out.ogr.

V.digit should be used to edit a postgis-database in order complete existing
data.
AFAIK there is permanent work on the data, so the postgis-data should be
edited by GRASS.
It should be stored in PostGIS, because the data is served through
mapserver, and the database-server is a PostGIS-Server.

So you think, there is no "easy" sollution to make GRASS-Postgis
UMN-mapserver compatible?!

Perhaps it would be possible to store my data as shapefiles, which can be
edited by v.digit.
I will think about that.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Cheers