[GRASS5] PostGIS with GRASS 5.7

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Wed Jan 28 08:05:10 EST 2004

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 17:17, Stephan Holl wrote:
> > Why do you need data stored in PostGIS? It is impossible to publish
> > the data anybody is working on. Editing may be done in GRASS native
> > and once finished, you can run v.out.ogr.
>
> V.digit should be used to edit a postgis-database in order complete
> existing data.
> AFAIK there is permanent work on the data, so the postgis-data should be
> edited by GRASS.
> It should be stored in PostGIS, because the data is served through
> mapserver, and the database-server is a PostGIS-Server.

Currently it is not possible to edit GRASS vectors with geometry stored in PostGIS.
You cannot use data which are under construction in mapserver, IMHO.
What kind of data, how often do you need to update the version in mapserver?
Data are edited by one or more users at the same time?

> So you think, there is no "easy" sollution to make GRASS-Postgis
> UMN-mapserver compatible?!

Yes, no easy solution.

> Perhaps it would be possible to store my data as shapefiles, which can be
> edited by v.digit.
> I will think about that.

No, shapefiles cannot be edited, the same problem - SFS as PosGIS.
Why native format and v.out.ogr is a problem?

Radim