[GRASS5] question about status of grass 5.0.3 for windows

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jan 29 00:40:50 EST 2004

I just tried to 'upgrade' a slightly older cygwin/wingrass installation
with new grass 5.0.3 binaries today and it wouldn't start. I was in a
hurry and didn't copy down the error message, but will do so if someone
wants to know it. It had to do with "lock.exe" and couldn't find
something in a cygwin.dll.

What I want to know is does anyone know the status of these binaries? I
remember reading something a week or two back about one set of binaries
being broken and being replaced. I downloaded these last week from the
<www.itc.it> site.

My Cygwin installation dates to last August, so I will update it and
try again. I don't use Windows much or Cygwin, but am trying to get
this set up for my students who do. I'm using the xwindows version of
the binaries and following the directions on the winGRASS binary site.

My main question is am I wasting my time and should revert to the
previous version. (And if so, where can I get a copy of the previous
binaries to distribute to others). Or have these been stable for other
people and I just need to work with them a bit?

Thanks for any advice.
Michael Barton
C. Michael Barton, Professor
Department of Anthropology