[GRASS5] grass 5.0.3 in debian

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Jan 30 08:28:35 EST 2004

Hamish wrote:

> > > anyway, a diff does not report anything usefull (no real
> > > differences.)
> >
> > That's one possibility eliminated.
> >
> > Has anything changed between 8.3 and 8.4 which would affect code which
> > creates new widget classes?
>
> ? Big 8.4 change I was aware of was the intoduction of threads & 64bit
> support, which likely exposes subtle bugs that were previously sleeping
> in the NVIZ code ??

Are you referring just to making Tcl/Tk thread-safe, or does it
actually use multiple threads automatically? If it's the latter, then
NVIZ may not work with 8.4 for the foreseeable future.

If it's the former, maybe NVIZ needs to be compiled with -D_REENTRANT?

I doubt that 64-bit support will be an issue, given that the problems
are occurring on x86.

> > Another line of approach would be to check whether the original Togl
> > code has had any changes for Tk 8.4.

I checked that; Togl hasn't been updated for 8.4.

> I ran it through the debugger a while back, but don't have the energy to
> do that right now, maybe it would help.

Just getting a backtrace at the point the segfault occurs might
provide useful information. Anything beyond that might be a
significant amount of work (and may require Tcl/Tk libs which were
built for debugging, i.e. with -g and without -O).