[GRASS5] Re: GRASS 5.3 windows

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Thu Jul 1 09:25:55 EDT 2004

I never saw this message show up on Grass5 so I am sending it again.
Sorry if you receive this twice.

Glynn Clements wrote:

>>>Richard: Perhaps you could post the configure parameters.
>>
>>does anyone have an idea?
>

> The obvious first guess is static libraries. If one of the core
> libraries (e.g. libgis) is pulling in an extra static library, that
> could make a big difference.
>
> Try running "nm" on a sample binary (in etc/bin/cmd) for 5.0 and 5.3.
> If the 5.3 version has a larger list of defined symbols, that suggests
> that it includes additional static libraries.

I think I see my mistake: 'make strip' strips from the files in the
dist.i686-pc-cygwin directory. But 'make bindist' uses the files from
the actual installation directory e.g.  /usr/local/grass53

Is this assumption correct? And if so, why does bindist use the files
from the installation directory rather than the dist.i686-pc-cygwin
directory?

And why does 5.3 seem to include debugging symbols when 5.0 and 5.7 do
not? In all 3 cases I am configuring with:
   CFLAGS="-O2"
   LDFLAGS="-s -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib"

Sorry for the rudimentary questions. Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
--
Richard Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com