[GRASS5] Raster API names suggestion

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jul 5 08:26:37 EDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 05:47:50PM +1200, Hamish wrote:
> > > to improve the GRASS API name convention, I would like to
> > > suggest to rename the raster functions from G_ to Rast_.
> > > A recursive find/sed should easily do the job.
> >

> > can you give examples of which functions would be changed?
>
> For example:
>
>  G_put_raster_row ()		-> Rast_put_row ()
>  G_open_raster_new()		-> Rast_open_new ()
>  G_read_raster_timestamp ()	-> Rast_read_timestamp ()

And the G__* () too as Rast__* (), I think. Would it be sensible to leave
the 5.0 series as G_* (), and migrate the development series, that's what
you are suggesting, isn't it? Then modules using the old forms would trip
up, and alert the programmer to the change? Would G_* () stay for the
non-raster functions in libgis - I think so?

Roger