[GRASS5] Re: [Proj] Continuing confusion of datums vs. projections

Michel Wurtz mjwurtz at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 8 04:16:31 EDT 2004

I just wanted to say that you cannot propose a GIS without offering a
*correct* function to transform a map from one coordinate system to
another one, even if the Datum involved is not the same.  The problem
is not "should we develop this as internal or external library" : that
doesn't matter.  The problem is "I have many sources of data, with an
accuracy of a few meters.  I want to display/compare/mix/analyse them
together.  My GIS should manage that".

So the coordinate transformation functions must take care of datums.

If Grass can't do that, Gras is unusable for a vast majority of application,
and we will not have any usable open-source GIS that can stand in front of
ArcView, MapInfo, GeoConcept and other commercial GIS softwares...

--
Michel Wurtz - Auzeville-Tolosane