[GRASS5] Re: What proj libraryversion is best?

Strebe at aol.com Strebe at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 19:17:45 EDT 2004

mjwurtz at wanadoo.fr (Michel Wurtz) wrote:

>Projection
>and Datum transformation are two different steps (and hence may be done in
>different functions), but you cannot forget Datum transformation.  For exemple,
>the correct way to tranform UTM/WGS84 to NTF/Lambert coordinate is :
>
>(E,N) UTM -> lat/long WGS84 -> X,Y,Z (tridimentional) -> Datum shift, rotation
>and scale from WGS84 to NTF -> lat/long NTF -> (E,N) Lambert.

I don't think Mr. Evenden (or anyone else) is forgetting anything here. Mr. Evenden's philosophy, which is sound, is that the first and last steps of your list fall under the purview of the proj library, and the rest do not. That says nothing about the importance or frivolity of the other steps; it only states that the steps are separable and that they can be handled by separate means.

Regards,
daan Strebe