[GRASS5] Re: problems with GRASS 5.7 binaries for Windows

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Sun Jul 11 17:49:59 EDT 2004

Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just did a new install of Cygwin + GRASS 5.7. Two problems:
>
> [with spearfish5.7 + GRASS/gdal/xtcltk from
>     http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass57/binary/mswindows_cygwin/]
>

> 1)  v.info roads     ERROR: pq.dll not found in PATH
>

> 2)  xeyes, d.mon, d.rast all work ok.
> Anything that uses tcltk doesn't, giving:
>    ERROR: libX11.dll not found in PATH
>
> Note cygwin has recently transitioned to X.org from XFree86.
>
> ??
>

> also, any ideas on starting GRASS from the Windows' desktop without
> having to type 'startx' and 'grass57'? There isn't enough memory to
> leave X running all the time, & the computer is needed for other things.
> Cygwin isn't needed for anything else (and if it is, I'm sure the person
> who knows UNIX can figure out another way in)
>
> ['startx' in .bash_profile and 'exec grass57' in .xsession ?]
> Icon attached for motivation.
>

> thanks,
> Hamish

GRASS 5.7 on Cygwin is very weak. Regarding 1, do you have postgres
installed? Regarding 2, I don't know. Cygwin is *very* volitle.

Personally, I use Cygwin/GRASS to do some batch processing on my faster
Windows computer, but if I want to use GRASS with a GUI or NVIZ, I use
my slower Linux laptop.

Regards,
--
Richard Greenwood