[GRASS5] problems with GRASS 5.7 binaries for Windows

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Jul 12 03:18:18 EDT 2004

Hamish wrote:

> also, any ideas on starting GRASS from the Windows' desktop without
> having to type 'startx' and 'grass57'?

	startx /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -e grass57

However, that will only run xterm, and you probably want to run a WM
as well, so create a script, e.g.:

	#!/bin/sh
	xterm -e grass57 &
	exec mwm

then run from another script, e.g.:

	#!/bin/sh
	/usr/X11R6/bin/startx /path/to/script

Note: the argument to startx has to begin with a slash, otherwise it
won't be interpreted correctly.

> There isn't enough memory to
> leave X running all the time, & the computer is needed for other things.
> Cygwin isn't needed for anything else (and if it is, I'm sure the person
> who knows UNIX can figure out another way in)
>
> ['startx' in .bash_profile and 'exec grass57' in .xsession ?]

If you always want to run GRASS when starting X, you can add:

	xterm -e grass57 &

to ~/.xsession. I suspect you probably don't want to run startx from
~/.bash_profile.