[GRASS5] Re: problems with GRASS 5.7 binaries for Windows

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 22:41:30 EDT 2004

> > GRASS 5.7 on Cygwin is very weak.

Just to document some other problems with the existing G5.7.0 binaries:

a) NVIZ segfaults in the usual way ('nviz -q' from the command line)

b) d.what.vect gives fails with 'Signal 11' when you click on the
monitor. 'd.what.vect -t' works ok (prints to the console).

And some solutions re. starting cygwin GRASS from an icon on the
windows desktop:

1) running startx automatically:
There is c:\cygwin\cygwin.bat.
I copied that to c:\cygwin\cygwin_goX.bat and edited the last line of
the file to be something like "bash -i --login -c startx". Then I made a
shortcut on the desktop to that batch file. Then right click on the
shortcut to cygwin_goX.bat, set to run minimized & change icon.

2) starting GRASS automatically:
Cygwin ignored .xsession, so I made a ~/.xinitrc file containing the
following: "exec xterm -e grass57".

I've attached to this email a better icon than the last one; a graphics
person might be able to clean it up a little more?

Hamish