[GRASS5] remove error output from pj_do_proj()?

William K woklist at charter.net
Tue Jul 27 15:50:03 EDT 2004

Ocassionally when I project rasters, r.proj spews out a bunch of errors
(pj_transform() failed...).  Most of the time they are harmless (ie
outside the source raster) and r.proj keeps going, and the projected
raster has no problems.  The big problem is that they can slow down the
projection process VERY much.  Wanting to remove these pointless
errors, I poked around and found this to be in pj_do_proj().

This doesn't seems like a good place to me - since it spits out an
error message based on the pj_transform return code, then immediately
returns the pj_transform code, why not leave it up to the calling
function to decide what to do with that code.  r.proj just ignores it
anyways and assigns a null value to the cell, while other commands may
do some error checking and/or output a message (haven't looked at the
other *.proj commands).

A verbose flag could be added to r.proj (and others) if the user wants
to see those errors.  And perhaps some error checking could be added to
r.proj - some errors might really be fatal (ie when there's no
inverse).

Just a suggestion.  For now, for myself, I'm just removing the error
message from pj_do_proj() (and I hope it doesn't break something else).

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro