[GRASS5] Re: grass-5.3.0.tar.gz

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 02:20:50 EDT 2004

> > Mention improvements to m.proj2 somewhere (as a more friendly front
> > end vs cs2cs).
>
> In NEWS.html it says "m.proj2: updated for easy WGS84 input/output
> (Hamish Bowman)". This seems like enough to me.

Yes, should be fine, it's not really new functionality - just an
improvement.

> Is it possible to input comma-separated datum tranformation parameters
> now or does that limitation still remain? If it was fixed, could
> mention that as well.

I don't think so (I didn't do it anyway), the big thing is you can now
import to & from WGS84 lat/lon to the current projection by simply using
the new -i and -o flags. Also it will take input from stdin, so you can
pipe stuff to it. Much easier than figuring out cs2cs; but not really
needed in 5.7 as you can do something like:

IN_PARAM="+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84 +towgs84=0,0,0"
OUT_PARAM=`g.proj -jf`
cs2cs $IN_PARAM  +to  $OUT_PARAM

ok, that's a bit more difficult than 'm.proj2 -i', but m.proj3 could be
a shell script that does the above g.proj magic & would be easier to
maintain in the future so long as PROJ.4 is a install req. or we add a
line to check for cs2cs & tell the user to install it if it isn't there.

Hamish