[GRASS5] GRASS 5.7.0 beta1

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 07:17:44 EDT 2004

> > One another annoyance is that all the monitors closed down when
> > exiting. Is this a new feature? I usually just leave monitors
> > running permanently and if just exiting and restarting quickly to
> > change location this could become annoying.
>
> Yes, new feature:
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2004-May/014486.html
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2004-May/014528.html
>
> I know that it is more work now, I was used to do the same. Maybe
> it is just question of a habit because now it is possible to start
> more sessions at the same time. Anyway, I think that the possibility
> to run (without tricks) more sessions (e.g. scripts in one mapset
> and interactive work in another) is more important than
> this inconvenience.
> We can maybe find a way how to reopen monitors when grass is started
> in X?

How safe is this for changing mapsets via g.gisenv? I'm doing that all
day long. That works with 5.7.0 (+d.redraw), but I don't want to badly
screw anything up by mistake..

I know it's up to me not to have the same mapset loaded twice, but what
happens if on a bad day I do?

Do I have to add $LOCATION/$MAPSET/.gislock management to my mapset
changing script? I'm already running $GISBASE/etc/clean_temp upon exit..

Or is this tied to the process id that started it? Upon exiting GRASS
5.7.0 I get:   ERROR: LOCATION_NAME not set

but it seems to be ok in ~/.grassrc57
?

thanks,
Hamish