[GRASS5] [bug #2451] (grass) 2 wishes for GRASS 5.7

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 21:07:43 EDT 2004

> 2. More difficult, but I think important. I'd like to see DXF import
> and export modules produced for 5.7. Those in 5.3 have considerable
> limitations. 5.7 has overall very good I/O routines due to gdal and
> ogr. However, OGR doesn't include dxf. This is a major data
> interchange format that I think ought to be supported if possible.

There is v.in.dwg for this, but it needs a non-free library & you must
not redistribute any resulting binaries.

see  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/1205

Have there been any improvements in the Free Software solutions for
DXF importing during the last year?

e.g. libdime
 Dime is a C++ class library for reading, constructing, manipulating,
 and writing DXF file data.

http://www.coin3d.org/Coin3D/file_format_libs/Dime/

[FreeGIS people: the link on your page is broken]

Is the time better spent getting Dime <=> OGR working?

Hamish