[GRASS5] GRASS 5.7.0 beta1

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jun 3 18:29:26 EDT 2004

Radim Blazek wrote:

> I have written g.mapset which does that (check mapset permission,
> clean temporary files, erase monitors, reset variables).
> But I don't know how to change shell settings (rc and history files),
> so I hesitate to add it into CVS.

You cannot write a command to change the shell's environment. This is
the main reason why we have $GISRC and G_getenv() etc instead of just
using environment variables.

Although, GISRC shouldn't need to be changed; it should remain
constant for the duration of a session.

And, environment issues aside, you can't make the shell close the
history file and start writing a new one. You just have to accept the
fact that the history will be stored in the starting mapset.