[GRASS5] GRASS 5.7.0 beta5

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 06:44:07 EDT 2004

Debian/testing vs. GRASS 5.7.0 beta5
gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (Debian 20040422)
i686, TclTk8.3

compiles fine.

> NVIZ: added points option, select sites -> select vector.

Works fine.

problem (5.7 only, goes back >1 month)
'Add new map' only lets you pick maps from the current or PERMANENT
mapsets; NVIZ in 5.3 lists all mapsets in location.... ?

minor (5.3 too):
the "site size" slider is backwards

choose a consistent capitalization scheme
"Line Width" vs "site size"

> Many new scripts and changes in tcltkgrass ( Michael Barton ).

minor point:
The d.m & the tcltkgrass menu don't close when you leave grass via
the command line. I realize you lose control of child windows to some
extent when you background them, but to be consistent with the d.mon
windows closing?

Martin wrote:
> The button d.m - options - launch tcltkgrass sometimes keeps on top of
> all windows after I selected options - anyone else encountered this
> problem using debian?

Nope. (TclTk 8.3)
Does a "mouse over" the offending text help?

> In the d.m. I set a raster on top and a vector below it but in the
> monitor the vector was above the raster - intuitively I would say the
> the top layer in the d.m. is also the top layer in the monitor.

You can think of it as a list of commands, the first instruction on the
list is drawn first; you build the display from the bottom up, not
the top down.. It's just a matter of perception really, e.g. are the
silhouettes of Tom Servo & Crow really watching you or the movie?

Anyway, the side that makes sense from a programming standpoint tends to
win, so that's why it's like that. The tree being open ended at the top
provides a tiny hint.

Hamish