[GRASS5] Re: g.region -l

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Mar 4 12:15:49 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 05:10:33PM +0000, Paul Kelly wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > BTW: Maybe we should modify '-l' of g.region to work on WGS84 (like d.where)?
> > Or just advertise that the current datum is used? I am not sure what's
> > preferred.
>
> Well if you don't know I don't think I'm very likely to know either!
> Presumably the feature is there for a reason but as I don't know what
> people use it for I wouldn't want to be the one to change it.

I think that I implemented it to support myself in downloading satellite
data from the NASA data repository. They always want LatLong for project
areas. So I added -l, and g.region tells me immediately the current
coordinates in LatLong. Copy-paste and I'm done.

> Better to
> keep things consistent unless there's a good reason for changing (there
> was for d.where; it used the old coorcnv library and part of the
> functionality worked only in UTM locations).

So that's a vote to change g.region. I tend to agree, because a
reliable WGS84 output is better than a sort of undefined LatLong
output with current datum/ellipsoid.
Other opinions?

Markus