[GRASS5] Re: grass 5.7 for vector overlays

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Mar 11 12:30:49 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:23:17AM -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
> Markus,
>
> I'd like to do that, but all the students in the class using GRASS are
> using it on Windows/Cygwin.
>
> GRASS 5.7 has only just now become available for Windows testing. I am
> hoping that it works well, but haven't had anyone brave enough to test
> it yet (They are still getting used to the software in general).

If nobody tests it, we'll never know :-)

> I am
> hopeful that this will be the solution in the future. Still, I assume
> that GRASS 5.3 will become the final, GRASS 5 standard soon.

Well, I have no idea. Seems that some bugs are holding it,
but they remained untouched the last weeks.

> I don't
> know how difficult it is to fix v.cutter. If it is not a big chore, it
> would be nice to remove the bug before 5.3 becomes 5.4 and finalized.

For this a person is needed to do it. Radim usually focuses on 5.7,
so someone else might do that.

> On the subject of GRASS 5.7, I noticed previously that a lot of raster
> commands seem missing (especially I/O, r.support, and modeling). Is
> this simply because they have not yet been updated? Will most raster
> commands work in 5.7 or do they all need tweaking?

Please list what you need. We have 92 raster commands present,
I don't see how "a lot of raster commands" are missing. GRASS 5.3
comes with 129 raster commands, but contains several commands which
are not needed (so I excluded them for now).
Just tell me which command(s) you need and I'll add them.

Markus