[GRASS5] help with recalcitrant vector area

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Mar 19 19:07:50 EST 2004

I am completely at a loss.

I am simply trying to use countries of Europe that I imported from an
ESRI shapefile. They imported more or less OK overall and seemingly
fine for the countries of the Iberian peninsula that I want to see as
areas. BUT only one of these shows up as an area--Portugal.

When I go into v.digit I am unable to turn Spain into an area. I place
the centroid  point, but when I try to set a boundary line (area edge),
it says 'no line can be found'. I've tried labeling and unlabeling
lines. When they are labeled, I can indeed select a line that forms
part of the boundary of Spain, but it still won't make an area.
("failed to create area") All the nodes are snapped. I can't find a
single break in the lines--even at high zoom levels.

I've run v.support, v.spaghetti, v.build.polylines endlessly with no
luck. I've snapped nodes at various tolerances, auto-labeled all lines
and removed all labels. I imported the file into GRASS 5.7. Behold
Spain is a vector area. But when I export it back to GRASS 5.3, it
turns back into a line.  Argh!!!

What am I missing (besides my sanity).

Michael Barton
Michael Barton, Professor & Curator