[GRASS5] zlib and raster rows

Andrea Antonello moovida at katamail.com
Sat May 1 02:52:17 EDT 2004

Thanks Glynn, your hint helped to get the stuff running. I was reading some
byte wrong.

Cheers
Andrea

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 19:33, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Do you need to tell java.util.zip what the compression method is?
>
> Note that the compressed data doesn't include any kind of signature
> (unlike a .gz file, which has a gzip header preceding the compressed
> data). GRASS knows when the data is zlib compressed (i.e. if the map
> is floating-point and the "compressed:" field in the cellhd file has a
> positive value).
>
> BTW, there is also a flag byte at the beginning of each row (either
> '0' or '1', i.e. 48 or 49), which indicates whether the compressed
> data is actually compressed.

"Let it be as much a great honour to take as to give learning,
if you want to be called wise."
Skuggsja' - The King's mirror - 1240 Reykjavik

University of Trento
Via Mesiano, 77 - Trento (ITALY)

Andrea Antonello
tel:  +393288497722