[GRASS5] GRASS 5.3 release

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 02:55:38 EDT 2004

> I have discussed with Paul the possibility to release GRASS5.3
> this month (as the effort to release it somehow keeps dying).
> To do that nothing new should be contributed to 5.3 by now,
> except for bug fixes. All new development should go into 5.7.

my suggested list of things to do for 5.4.0:

target features                                  status
------------------------------------             --------
Datum Support                                    done
g.setproj & m.proj2 solid                        pretty good?
gdal req'd, get rid of  gdal bridge?             ?
all scripts -> g.parser                          ?
missing man pages (Debian bug #229086, 242436)   no
Remove any remaining GD,GDBM mentions            ?
init.sh/set_data race              ???? not sure what this was about
NVIZ updates                                     done
add r.series, r.grow2, d.info                    **TODO**
add r.[in|out].mat, r.univar(2)                  **TODO**
OSX TclTk -> Aqua                                so close
TrueColor for core display modules               C done; man pages?
shared libs working on all but Cygwin            ?
merge updated Tcl Menus                          Scott
finish v.in.garmin auto-projection for WGS84     Hamish

Release Critical Bugs                            status
------------------------------------             --------
r.in.gdal bug free                               done (I think)
OSX won't start [rm .grassrc5]                   ?
r.series to sample variance (n-1) + document     ? ok to do?
NVIZ on Debian with TclTk 8.4   :)               no
NVIZ with generic TclTk 8.5                      ?
r.terraflow #if GCC>3.0 include rules            no, but works
others?

---

New feature freeze for anything else after 5.3.0.
"Bug fix only" freeze for anything else after 5.3.1. (1 month?)
[difference is module behaviour changes, etc ?]

---

my suggested list of things to do for 5.7.x:

target features                                  status
------------------------------------             --------
finalize vector format + solid                   pending
solid DB integation
move -> OGR storage                              no
merge r.average et al.                           no
merge 5.3 code after 5.3.1 is tagged ?           not yet
new build system                                 done
s.convert 5.0->5.7 sites full cat/att support    no?
Add /* $Id$ */ to all C files                    in progress
Add # $Id$ to all scripts                        in progress
Add <!-- $Id$ --> to all html                    ?
Add Last changed $Date$ to all description.html  parser?
Add consistent license comments to those without or not?

just some ideas,
Hamish