[GRASS5] GRASS 5.3 release

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu May 6 19:15:45 EDT 2004

Hamish wrote:

> > I have discussed with Paul the possibility to release GRASS5.3
> > this month (as the effort to release it somehow keeps dying).
> > To do that nothing new should be contributed to 5.3 by now,
> > except for bug fixes. All new development should go into 5.7.
>
> my suggested list of things to do for 5.4.0:
>
> target features                                  status
> ------------------------------------             --------
> Datum Support                                    done
> g.setproj & m.proj2 solid                        pretty good?
> gdal req'd, get rid of  gdal bridge?             ?

GDAL should be optional---it is only actually used for r.in.gdal and
there are alternatives like r.in.tiff

> all scripts -> g.parser                          ?
> missing man pages (Debian bug #229086, 242436)   no
> Remove any remaining GD,GDBM mentions            ?
> init.sh/set_data race              ???? not sure what this was about
> NVIZ updates                                     done
> add r.series, r.grow2, d.info                    **TODO**
> add r.[in|out].mat, r.univar(2)                  **TODO**
> OSX TclTk -> Aqua                                so close
> TrueColor for core display modules               C done; man pages?
> shared libs working on all but Cygwin            ?

Not a big job to get them working on Cygwin:
1) make driverlib static on all platforms (I remember Glynn saying this
was generally a good idea as the way it is written it will always
reference functions in other libraries that might not have been compiled
yet)
2) merge dig2lib and vectlib into 1 big library (any module that links
to them always links to both)
After that I think it will work fine on Cygwin.
Getting it working on OSX is a bigger problem and requires lots of
tedious work removing multiply defined symbols, but will be done for 5.4

> merge updated Tcl Menus                          Scott
> finish v.in.garmin auto-projection for WGS84     Hamish
>
> Release Critical Bugs                            status
> ------------------------------------             --------
> r.in.gdal bug free                               done (I think)
> OSX won't start [rm .grassrc5]                   ?
> r.series to sample variance (n-1) + document     ? ok to do?
> NVIZ on Debian with TclTk 8.4   :)               no
> NVIZ with generic TclTk 8.5                      ?
> r.terraflow #if GCC>3.0 include rules            no, but works

Only compile r.terraflow if g++ is the compiler
Fix r.terraflow makefiles so they work with alternate build mechanism

> others?
>
> ---
>
> New feature freeze for anything else after 5.3.0.
> "Bug fix only" freeze for anything else after 5.3.1. (1 month?)

Bug fix only is after 5.4.0. Technically all 5.3.x releases can add new
features as 3 is an odd number, as I understand it.

> [difference is module behaviour changes, etc ?]
>
> ---
>
> my suggested list of things to do for 5.7.x:

And after 5.4.0 there will be no-one working on the 'grass' CVS module
so everybody can help with this stuff in 'grass51'

> target features                                  status
> ------------------------------------             --------
> finalize vector format + solid                   pending
> solid DB integation
> move -> OGR storage                              no
> merge r.average et al.                           no
> merge 5.3 code after 5.3.1 is tagged ?           not yet

Not until this isn't going to change any more, i.e. after 5.4.0. After
that bugfixes will have to be done to files both in 5.7 and in the 5.4
release branch, but this should be not a lot more tedious than having to
do them in the 5.0 releasebranch and HEAD at the minute

> new build system                                 done

I think the shared library support could be re-done again using the
aclocal.m4 from 5.3 but we are better waiting for further testing of it
there (which won't happen until --enable-gmake=no is the default but
must get it working on Cygwin and OSX first)