[GRASS5] GRASS 5.3 release

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri May 7 21:56:23 EDT 2004

Paul Kelly wrote:

> > > Not a big job to get them working on Cygwin:
> >
> > No? Is it no longer necessary to create a .def file for DLLs?
>
> Mmm well I'm just saying it seems to work for me with driverlib, dig2lib
> and vect2lib all compiled statically and everything else as DLLs. GRASS
> starts, seems to run, displaying and querying maps works etc.
> What should I be looking for to go wrong if there is no .def file?

You should be looking for the attempt to build the DLL failing
completely and obviously. If you are ending up with actual DLLs then
it appears that you don't need a .def file.

So, it appears that "gcc -shared" now works on Cygwin; you used to
have to create a .def file then use "dlltool" to actually build a DLL
from a bunch of .o files.

> > > Getting it working on OSX is a bigger problem and requires lots of
> > > tedious work removing multiply defined symbols, but will be done for 5.4
> >
> > Can you provide more details? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can
> > only find around 20 symbols which appear to be problematic.
>
> Not just for driverlib; Lorenzo Moretti has done useful work compiling and
> reporting the errors:
>
> http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/Errors_Grass53_2004_04_24_shared_lib.txt

Right. The -fno-common switch (as suggested by Markus) should catch
most of those.