[GRASS5] GRASS 5.3 release

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri May 7 22:08:57 EDT 2004

Paul Kelly wrote:

> > > Only compile r.terraflow if g++ is the compiler
> >
> > That is what the GCC version check is for. I'm pretty sure if we (I)
> > conditionalize all the GCC 3+ includes, it will compile with cc. ?
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/2923
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/2932
>
> Well I'm pretty sure it won't compile with the IRIX CC ;) but I don't
> mind. The original version of r.terraflow in GRASS didn't have the GCC
> 3-style includes and there were a lot more errors then:
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2003-February/007312.html
> but I'm willing to try compiling again. Laura said she didn't expect it to
> work with anything but g++ so I'm also going by that.

FWIW, I don't think that we should attempt to work around actual
deficiencies in C++ compilers, but nor I do think that we should
accept code which is gratuitously non-portable. IOW, "requires an
ANSI-compliant C++ compiler" is OK; "requires g++" isn't.

Those gcc-specific switches should be removed from the Gmakefile; the
user can set CXXFLAGS when running configure if they want to add them.