[GRASS5] a set of wishes for GRASS 5.7

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon May 10 11:38:05 EDT 2004

You guys have done a FANTASTIC job, and I am not complaining about this
at all. You can only do so much. However, it is still difficult to
manage attribute data from within GRASS. It seems that the main focus
so far has been getting data out in diverse ways and using gdal and ogr
to get data from elsewhere in. Personnally, I agree that these have
priority. But, what I do requires a fair amount of data creation--which
is why I've followed the improvements to v.digit with much interest.
This is also the source of my wish for better attribute data
entry/editing tools. AFAICT, db.select is a query tool. db.execute can
of course issue sql update queries. However, this is different from a
basic data editor. Answering Radim's response at the same time,
OpenOffice for Mac is still at the 1.0 stage and does not include dbf
support. Even if it did, this is a lot of program to install, just to
edit dbf files. I have Excel and can use that, of course. It would
still be nice to work within GRASS as was possible previously (albeit
in a somewhat clunky way). My hope was to inspire another programmer to
take up this task. A search on Sourceforge suggests that the tools are
there to do some kind of simple editor.

I haven't tried to compile QGIS to see if it runs on my Mac yet, so it
is nice to know that it has an editor. As Radim describes it, this
should do the trick. More complex things could be done with db.execute.

Michael
C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA