[GRASS5] a set of wishes for GRASS 5.7

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon May 10 12:07:03 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 08:38:05AM -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
> You guys have done a FANTASTIC job, and I am not complaining about this
> at all. You can only do so much. However, it is still difficult to
> manage attribute data from within GRASS. It seems that the main focus
> so far has been getting data out in diverse ways and using gdal and ogr
> to get data from elsewhere in. Personnally, I agree that these have
> priority. But, what I do requires a fair amount of data creation--which
> is why I've followed the improvements to v.digit with much interest.
> This is also the source of my wish for better attribute data
> entry/editing tools. AFAICT, db.select is a query tool. db.execute can
> of course issue sql update queries. However, this is different from a
> basic data editor. Answering Radim's response at the same time,
> OpenOffice for Mac is still at the 1.0 stage and does not include dbf
> support. Even if it did, this is a lot of program to install, just to
> edit dbf files. I have Excel and can use that, of course. It would
> still be nice to work within GRASS as was possible previously (albeit
> in a somewhat clunky way). My hope was to inspire another programmer to
> take up this task. A search on Sourceforge suggests that the tools are
> there to do some kind of simple editor.

Michael,

ideas are not the problem. We are in the need to have someone looking
into this (a *new, additional* GRASS 5.7 programmer). But I think
that I have posted this message already too often.
The question is: how to raise interest in GRASS 5.7 programming?

I can understand your problems, but this must be solved by someone else.

> I haven't tried to compile QGIS to see if it runs on my Mac yet, so it
> is nice to know that it has an editor. As Radim describes it, this
> should do the trick. More complex things could be done with db.execute.
>
> Michael

Best,

 Markus