[GRASS5] 5.7: most r3.* modules included

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon May 10 22:07:55 EDT 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:

> For now I left r3.mapcalc out because the Makefile is
> not to be written straightaway. And once we talked about
> the idea of extending the new 2D r.mapcalc to a
> 3rd dimension with #defines to optionally compile
> it with two or three dimensions. As far as I remember
> basically all loops have to be extended to additionally
> browse the z direction.
>
> If the expected time to extend the new 2D r.mapcalc to a
> 3rd dimension would be predicted with > 2 month, I
> suggest to include the old r3.mapcalc.

It shouldn't take more than a week at most, and probably just the time
taken to learn the relevant bits of the G3d API plus a day to
implement.

FWIW, this is the list of functions which need to be changed to their
G3d counterparts:

evaluate.c  G_unopen_cell
evaluate.c  G_window_cols
evaluate.c  G_window_rows
main.c      G_get_window
map.c       G_close_cell
map.c       G_find_cell2
map.c       G_get_raster_row
map.c       G_open_cell_old
map.c       G_open_raster_new
map.c       G_put_raster_row
map.c       G_raster_map_type
map.c       G_read_cats
map.c       G_read_colors
map.c       G_read_history
map.c       G_short_history
map.c       G_write_cats
map.c       G_write_colors
map.c       G_write_history
xcoor.c     G_col_to_easting
xcoor.c     G_row_to_northing

Essentially, I intend to move G_get_window() to the top of execute()
in evaluate.c, then produce 3d versions of evaluate.c, map.c and
xcoor.c.

I/O will need to use cached mode, although that should eliminate the
need to use rowio.

Also, G3d provides equivalents of G_{read,write}_{cats,colors}, but I
can't find anything related to history; does G3d not support map
histories?