[GRASS5] Re: grass-5.3.0.tar.gz

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri May 21 09:21:42 EDT 2004

Hello Markus

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
> concerning the 5.3 release: I would like to get it completed
> (complete announcements, publish it and post it to the
> various sites as suggested in the release_rules.txt).

At first I wasn't sure if this should be done (widely announcing it) as it
is only a development release (while reading through release_rules.txt I
felt a lot of the notes referred mainly to stable releases) but I am
starting to think it should after spending some time adding notes about new
modules to the release notes.
I wanted to see what the other developers think.

The current version of the release notes is at
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/web/announces/announce_grass530.html
I am still looking for feedback and improvements especially if I've said
anything wrong about the new modules or left anything important out.

I decided purposely not to mention (a) viewproj as I feel it confuses the
concept of locations with separate projections in GRASS and it doesn't support
datum transformation (and Thuban has the same functionality) and (b) d.out.tiff
as it uses the old CELL driver (why not just d.out.png and convert to a
tiff outside GRASSS?).

> In a few days I'll be away in holidays. So in case my
> help is needed, please let me know.

When you are happy with the release notes please feel free to submit to
the news sites as you have done that before.

Paul