[GRASS5] Re: grass-5.3.0.tar.gz

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 23:29:17 EDT 2004

> The current version of the release notes is at
> http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/web/announces/announce_grass530.html
> I am still looking for feedback and improvements especially if I've
> said anything wrong about the new modules or left anything important
> out.

1st P:
"A new release of GRASS has ..."

This paragraph is a bit muddled and unprofessional sounding to me.
I wouldn't complain but that's the one which will be used as the
headline .. I understand the "development series" bits are necessary up
front, but we shouldn't be apologigetic about it.. I hate the phrase,
but how to make it more upbeat like "technology preview" ?
Maybe just get rid of the sentances starting with "however".

"Platforms supported by GRASS:" section
MS-Windows NT/2000/XP with Cygnus

a) Didn't someone have it running on Win98 without problems?

b) Cygnus -> Cygwin?

"Users who have been following the development of the GRASS 5.3 'CVS
version' will not be surprised at the contents of the 5.3.0 release."

chop above + "However.."

"What's new" section
- r.in.gdal bug fix worth noting?

- is r.series set to build automatically? Maybe not until I switch that to
use n-1 for varience/std. dev.

- add note on core display modules updated for TrueColor support

"Concurrent Development Series 5.7"
"Major changes to the vector engine and attribute management system "
make that "changes abd improvements" ..

add that it is "very usable" today or the like ..

sorry, very busy & no time for proper corrections right now..

regards,
Hamish