[GRASS5] Re: grass-5.3.0.tar.gz

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sat May 22 15:11:11 EDT 2004

Hello Hamish
Thanks for the comments

Hamish wrote:

> > The current version of the release notes is at
> > http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/web/announces/announce_grass530.html
> > I am still looking for feedback and improvements especially if I've
> > said anything wrong about the new modules or left anything important
> > out.
>
> 1st P:
> "A new release of GRASS has ..."
>
> This paragraph is a bit muddled and unprofessional sounding to me.
> I wouldn't complain but that's the one which will be used as the
> headline .. I understand the "development series" bits are necessary up
> front, but we shouldn't be apologigetic about it.. I hate the phrase,
> but how to make it more upbeat like "technology preview" ?
> Maybe just get rid of the sentances starting with "however".

I agree it sounds very positive with the words 'technology
preview'---have put that in

> "Platforms supported by GRASS:" section
> MS-Windows NT/2000/XP with Cygnus
>
> a) Didn't someone have it running on Win98 without problems?
>
> b) Cygnus -> Cygwin?

Changed it to mention just Windows with Cygwin

> "Users who have been following the development of the GRASS 5.3 'CVS
> version' will not be surprised at the contents of the 5.3.0 release."
>
> chop above + "However.."

yes does sound more positive like that---changed

> "What's new" section
> - r.in.gdal bug fix worth noting?

The main thing is --with-gdal is the default; gdalbridge code hasn't
been removed yet but it should be much more reliable for people---I put
this in:
More reliable raster import
     Technical changes and bugfixes to the r.in.gdal raster import
module mean that        by default it will operate reliably with all
recent and older versions of GDAL.

> - is r.series set to build automatically? Maybe not until I switch that to
> use n-1 for varience/std. dev.

No but I thought I would mention it anyway and people could go looking
for it... too late to change it to compile automatically for 5.3.0 but
could always remove the mention

> - add note on core display modules updated for TrueColor support

I'm not totally sure what this means; hopefully this makes sense:
TrueColor Support
     All the core display modules (d.*) now support 24-bit colour.
What modules exactly or is it not important?

> "Concurrent Development Series 5.7"
> "Major changes to the vector engine and attribute management system "
> make that "changes abd improvements" ..
>
> add that it is "very usable" today or the like ..

changed those

> sorry, very busy & no time for proper corrections right now..
 Was a good help. It's not supposed to be perfect anyway.

Paul