[GRASS5] Re: grass-5.3.0.tar.gz

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat May 22 19:55:20 EDT 2004

Paul Kelly wrote:

> > "Platforms supported by GRASS:" section
> > MS-Windows NT/2000/XP with Cygnus
> >
> > a) Didn't someone have it running on Win98 without problems?

I've had it running on Win98. I'm not sure if you could say "without
problems", although most of the issues would apply equally to
NT/2K/XP.

The one issue which is specific to 95/98/ME is the fork() breakage
regarding XDRIVER. mon.start needs -D__W98__ even for the "X server"
version. In turn, this means that you have to use:

	d.mon -s start=...
	d.mon select=...

instead of just "d.mon start=..." (which will try to select the
monitor before it has initialised and is accepting connections).

> No but I thought I would mention it anyway and people could go looking
> for it... too late to change it to compile automatically for 5.3.0 but
> could always remove the mention
>

> > - add note on core display modules updated for TrueColor support
>
> I'm not totally sure what this means; hopefully this makes sense:
> TrueColor Support
>      All the core display modules (d.*) now support 24-bit colour.
> What modules exactly or is it not important?

I presume that he's referring to having extended the syntax for
colours to allow the use of RR:GG:BB as well as named colours.