[GRASS5] Using external PROJ with 5.3

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 21 09:52:44 EDT 2004

Paul Kelly wrote:
> Good point. The existing GRASS release rules say only to include
> libgdal.1.1.so; has this not been a problem for anyone already? In GRASS
> 5.7 local copies of some of these files are included for co-ordinates
> system definitions---the function SetCSVFilenameHook() is used in a few
> places to set the correct location to look for these and it works well.
> But the point of doing that was that I thought these files weren't
> guaranteed to be included in a GDAL installation. But if as you say they
> are necessary for some drivers then we probably could rely on them being
> installed. Several issues there I suppose with no real answers.

Paul,

Lots of GDAL distributions get built and sent out without the data
files setup properly, but I don't think having a local copy is a very
good idea unless a GRASS binary distribution make prepares it along with
including a copy of GDAL.

> Maybe just make a PROJ and GDAL binary distribution that have been
> tested with the GRASS binaries, and distribute them all together. Is
> there an easy equivalent to the GRASS 'make bindist' for making PROJ.4
> and GDAL binary packages?

There are or were mkbindist.sh scripts in some of my packages but they
are not in good repair.  PROJ and GDAL do have rpm packagings.

Best regards,