[GRASS5] Re: GRASS <-> GDAL circular references

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed May 26 11:59:02 EDT 2004

Hello Radim

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Radim Blazek wrote:

>>> Cygwin? It is not standard linker flag I guess. It is probably sufficient
>>> if developers set this flag?
>>
>> As far as I know I don't think that is possible for Cygwin DLLs; the
>> dependencies on shared libraries have to be added to the linker
>> command-line and there seems to be no way to create DLLs with undefined
>> symbols. In 5.3 EXTRA_LIBS is called SLIBDEPS; it seems to be a fairly
>> standard thing and I think it is correct for it to be there?
>
> ld manpage:
>
> --no-undefined
>  Normally when creating a non-symbolic shared library, undefined  symbols  are  allowed  and
>  left to be resolved by the runtime loader.  These options disallows such undefined symbols.
>
> I thought, that we could use it on Linux, to ensure that it cannot happen on Cygwin.

Ah, I think I see what you mean now. That sounds like a good idea. I
thought you were suggesting to remove EXTRA_LIBS and use --no-undefined,
which didn't seem to make sense to me because it meant it could never work
on Cygwin (i.e. without the EXTRA_LIBS line). Though maybe EXTRA_LIBS should
be renamed SLIBDEPS. The 5.7 build system really needs slightly updated to
use the aclocal.m4 from 5.3 and this could be done at the same time, but I
don't really see me having time to do this soon.

Paul