[GRASS5] grass on the web?

David Piasecki piasecda at nv.doe.gov
Thu May 27 20:56:39 EDT 2004

Hamish,

I've been looking info MapServer for navigating in a mapquest-like web
application, but it's rather cumbersome. In a different stand-alone
application, I've been able to use the PNG Graphics Driver for GRASS.
It works great, so I was thinking I could conceivably do the same for a
web server. I can call GRASS executables from a PERL script and display
the result as an image file in a web browser. I would imagine this
would be similar to mapquest, and it seems much simpler and more
straightforward. Am I misunderstanding something that mapserver does
better than I could accomplish with a GRASS/PERL scheme?

David