[GRASS5] newbie question: location, mapset, layer relationship

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri May 28 10:04:54 EDT 2004

yu chen wrote:

> I want to create the test data for area "150km * 150km". According the
> "grass5" manual, it seem that I should create a location, then create a
> mapset. My question is:
> 1. Which module is for creation of location?
>
> 2. Which module is for creation of mapset?

Both of these operations are performed from the start-up screen (in
text mode; use "grass5 -text" if necessary).

If you enter the name of a non-existent location and/or mapset, it
will ask if you want to create a new location/mapset.

> 3. I want to create a layer for customer, and a layer for road. In
> "mapinfo", mapset consists of layers. But in "grass", I can't find the
> concept of layer, just "raster map" and "vector map". Are "layer" and
> "raster map", "vector map" are the same concept?

Probably.

All maps within a location should share the same projection, so you
can display them on top of one another and everything should align.