[GRASS5] Bus errors

glynn at gclements.plus.com glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Nov 10 09:29:01 EST 2004

Kirk R. Wythers wrote:

> GRASS 5.7.cvs:~ > g.list vect
> Bus error
> GRASS 5.7.cvs:~ >
>
> But I'm this odd Bus error. I've seen it with g.list, g.copy, and
> g.remove. Perhaps there are others. Any suggestions as to how to start
> diagnosing this problem would be apprecieated

My first guess is that something is performing a non-aligned memory
access (e.g. reading an int from an odd-numbered memory address).

This works on x86, on most other platforms it will generate an
exception (which usually corresponds to SIGBUS on Linux), and on the
ARM processors (at least, on ARM2 and ARM3; I don't know about the
more recent ones) it will result in garbage data.

The simplest way to locate the fault is likely to be to run the
program in question under a debugger, e.g.

	$ gdb $GISBASE/bin/g.list
	> run vect
	<error message regarding SIGBUS>